Career Opportunities in Cyber Security
Increasingly the world is going digital and internet penetration is increasing daily all over the world. We can now do shopping, studying, banking, get government services, book tickets etc all online via a phone or computer connected to the internet. While services mentioned above have moved online so have the criminals. THere are increasing cyberattacks and frauds also happening online. Hence cybersecurity has become an important field to protect the digital assets and frontiers
There are different job opportunities in the field of cybersecurity and an ever growing demand in the field coupled with lack of skilled professionals. The 2020 covid pandemic has made even more services available go online and so has the number of cyberattacks. This has brought a wide range of roles in the field to combat cyber threats. If we look at the internet usage statistics of 2000-2020 in some countries the rate has crossed the 10,000 mark. There are a lot of technical and non-technical jobs available in this field. It is expected that the cybersecurity labor crunch will reach 3.5 million by 2021. To handle this we need more skilled personnel in the field of cybersecurity.
- Security Analyst
- Security Architect
- Security Software Developer
- Security Engineer
- Security Administrator
- Security Consultant
- Start using Linux and learn Linux commands. This exercise can help you out.
- Learn to install Linux on your PC/Laptop either directly or using a Virtual Machine
- Learn to do programs in Python and C language.
- Start doing CTFs. (Capture the Flag). Amrita InCTFj, picoCTF
- There are some good tutorials to get started with cybersecurity in wiki.amritabios.in and YouTube.com/InCTFj
- School students who take part in Amrita InCTFj can apply for scholarships to join Amrita University and team bi0s to get further training in cybersecurity.
- Increase typing speed. Try to get to over60 words per minute. Typing Club
- Learn to build websites and mobile apps
- Do projects in the field to expand your knowledge.
- Exploit social media to your advantage, A lot of cybersecurity professionals use twitter as their main medium of contact.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions, starting out can be hard. Feel free to poke around the cybersecurity community.
Some of the job roles are listed below.:
There are opportunities for freelancers to contribute to the field of cybersecurity, one such program is bug-bounty.
you are a school student how to pursue a career in cybersecurity?
There are some skills you can develop while in school itself to start a career in cybersecurity. You can get proficient in using a computer, develop a good typing speed and get good in any programming language. There are contests called Capture the Flag or CTFs in short that helps students to get excited and skilled in cybersecurity. Amrita InCTFj is specifically meant for school students across India with no knowledge of cybersecurity to get started. Another one specific for school students is picoCTF which is open to all students across the world.
Specific tasks to do for school students
What if I am a college student and want to develop my skills in cybersecurity ?
Do the same tasks suggested for school students but in greater depth. Amrita InCTF National edition is a beginner friendly Capture the flag students for university students and working professionals across India which is focused on beginners. It happens annually and taking part will help you to develop some skills Contribute to cybersecurity related open source projects to develop further skills.